Cholesterol is the steroid lipid found in the outer cell membranes of all body tissues. Cholesterol is sometimes known as sterol, which is a high combination of alcohol and steroid. A person can face health problem with the rise of the cholesterol level. High cholesterol level in the body can cause arterial disease or coronary heart disease.
SIGNS & SYMPTOMS
- Hypercholesterolemia is one of the major clinical symptoms for cholesterol. In this condition, the cholesterol level increases and it can cause several heart and cardiovascular diseases.
- Hypocholesterolemia is also another symptom which is caused when the cholesterol level falls abnormally low.
It is said that the cholesterol level of the body is dependent on the food a person consumes. Certain foods which affect the cholesterol level include:
- Red meat
- Foods that contain saturated fat
Yoga is highly beneficial for the treatment of high cholesterol. Some important asanas for cholesterol management include:
- Kapalbhati Pranayama is considered the best practice to reduce the cholesterol level.
- Meditation and breathing exercises also help.
- One can regularly drink coriander with water to reduce the cholesterol levels. This also improves the functioning of kidneys. Positive changes can be seen after a month.
- Boiled milk with one piece of garlic helps in lowering the level of cholesterol. It is also recommended for people who have cardiac pains.
- One can eat a piece of garlic every morning.
- Regular consumption of walnuts and almonds can also help in lowering the cholesterol level.
- Arjuna is an effective herb that allows one to achieve proper balance in the level of cholesterol. One can consume it as Arjuna Ghritam and Arjunarishtha.
- Prabhakara Vati and Hridayarnava Rasa are also popular Ayurvedic treatments for cholesterol problems.
- Mrigamadasava can be prescribed if a person has a high level of cholesterol.
- Alfalfa is useful to clear cholesterol congestion from the arteries.
- Guggulu, a traditional herb of India, has been identified as an important medicine for the treatment of heart and cholesterol problems. The Guggulsterones contained in this herb can reduces cholesterol.
- Holy Basil can dissolve accumulated cholesterol from a person’s arteries and carry it to the bloodstream. This ultimately gets eliminated through the kidneys.
The cholesterol level of a person depends on the food consumes. One should make a chart of calorie intake. A person should avoid those foods which have high calorie count, such as red meat, ice creams and chocolates. Fried food should also be avoided. One should also refrain from the consumption of groundnut oil. Butter, ghee and cow’s milk are recommended, but buffalo dairy products should not be consumed. Consumption of fruits, fresh green leafy vegetables can help balance the cholesterol level of a person. Drinking large quantities of water can also help drain the toxins from the body and checks the level of cholesterol.