is a disease that causes the inflammation of the bronchi. It is counted among critical lung ailments, comparable to asthma and COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease). It leads to serious infections in the bronchial tubes and lungs. It becomes chronic after a certain stage. The condition may occur suddenly, following a bout of common cold. Degeneration of the lungs and bronchi is observed among patients suffering from chronic bronchitis.
Signs & Symptoms of Bronchitis
- The main symptom of bronchitis is an inflammation of the mucus membrane. Patients face difficulty in expelling phlegm. In many cases the phlegm becomes gluey and purulent.
- People suffering from bronchitis are often seen turning bluish (looks) due to the cold. Viscid phlegm sticks to the bronchi, leading to breathing problems. The lungs get less air at this time.
- Loss of appetite, breathlessness or pulmonary dyspnoea and high temperature are common symptoms of acute bronchitis. Early treatment is recommended to avoid any critical problem in the future.
- Patients suffer from frequent coughs and it leads to various problems. People detected with bronchitis are often emaciated and thin.
- Bronchitis is caused by viral infection. According to Ayurvedic science, a digestive impairment is detected among patients suffering from bronchitis.
Acute bronchitis is generally caused by certain viruses or bacteria. It is characterized by muco-purulent sputum production, coughing and contraction of the bronchi. People suffering from bronchitis often experience breathlessness and high temperatures.
Yogic Management for Bronchitis
- Yoga exercises are quite effective. Relaxation and breathing techniques can also help in easing breathlessness. These, together, give a soothing feeling and help the lungs to function properly. During asthma attacks they enhance air flow.
- Sukhasana is one of the common Yogic practices. It helps in calming the mind, slowing down metabolism, spine straightening and promoting mental tranquillity.
- Shoulder lift is another good asana. It can increase flexibility, ease tension and tone muscles. Shoulder lifts enable people to get rid of a bad posture and headaches.
- Half spinal twist or Ardha Matsyendrasana is yet another effective yoga practice. It helps in strengthening the spine.
- Pavanamuktasana or wind relieving pose is also a good asana. Anuloma-Viloma is another effective practice.
- Common remedies for treating bronchitis include turmeric powder, or haridra. It can be added to a glass of milk and consumed. Doctors recommend taking it early in the morning.
- Mix black pepper, dried ginger and pippali. Consume the mixture daily to get best results.
- Ginger and honey can also do wonders in the treatment of bronchitis. Adhatoda vasica or vasa juice is also effective.
- Rasa Sindur, Silopaladi Churna and Pravala Pisthi are also useful cures.
Ayurvedic Management of Bronchitis
- Silopaladi Churna, Pravala Pisthi and Rasa Sindur are the common Ayurvedic treatments to cure bronchitis.
- Shringyadi Churna, Kaphakelu and Kaphachintamani are the other Ayurvedic treatments.